POST MASTECTOMY SPECIFIC BRAS RADIATION THERAPY BRAS BREAST PROSTHESIS SWIM PROSTHESIS
Immediately after your mastectomy we recommend that you wear a soft, non-underwired post operative support bra.
Features of a good bra to use after surgery are:
- The bra should offer 4 dimensional stretch to ensure that there is light compression over the surgery site helping to manage swelling as well as:
- Provide support to your remaining breast.
- Wide side and back walls will ensure pressure is optimally distributed ensuring comfort
- Wide soft under-band
- Front fastening are recommended as it makes putting on/ taking off a bra much easier.
- Pocketed cups. This is a key feature that will allow you to put your initial breast prosthesis in (A soft fiber filled prostheses)
LONG TERM ADVICE
Once the site of surgery has healed you will need a bra that can house a breast prosthesis, support your existing breast and will be comfortable to wear – we recomment the following for maximum comfort:
- Soft pocketed cups. The pockets are sewn into bra to house your breast prostheses
- a wide underband – the band that goes under the cups and around your back
- deep front and side panels – this does depend on your surgery but it is a good general rule
- full cups
- cup separation (the centre of the bra, between the cups, should sit flat on your chest) – this will keep the prosthesis securely in place
- fully adjustable straps
- no underwires
If you have never been professionally fitted – now is the time!
Breast prosthesis forms have been designed to provide a breast-like shape to complete your female physique, symmetry and body image. There are breast forms for immediately after surgery (Soft fiber filled forms) & for long term use breast forms (made from silicon).
Soft fiber filled forms are ideal immediately after surgery as they are soft & comfortable. They will give you the body shape & confidence you need during the first couple of months.
Long term external silicone breast prostheses are weighted prosthesis,made of silicone, which is designed to simulate natural breast tissue and breast shape.
Breast prostheses create symmetry and resemble the existing breast shape,size and weight. This ensures that body image is restored- and willresult you feeling more “whole”again.Breast prostheses that are correctly fitted will make your clothes fit well again as well as help your posture, prevent shoulder drop, and problems with balance